Tuesday 20 November 2007

If it's Friday this must be...

Snow, ice pellets, rain - high 7 degrees

Driving into the office this morning there were two big trucks off the road. Happily we had Denis put the winter tired on the Volvo yesterday. Tomorrow more bad weather and Thursday there's a snowstorm predicted. Sadly I'll miss all that.

Have left Michael working hard on Sudoku by the fireplace - Maggie and Trudy lying at his feet - and Gary sawing away upstairs. Am presuming the sawing is wood and not his snores. He's getting close to finishing the new bathroom - very exciting.

And I'm driving in to Montreal today - interview with Sharman Yarnell at CJAD Radio this afternoon - pre-taped to run on her programme Showtime this Saturday. She's great. Very engaging - very smart. Love talking to her.

Then off to Toronto by VIA Rail tomorrow. I know the books must be doing OK because the publishers have popped for first class! My tactic when traveling alone on the train is to look insane. That way no one takes the seat next to you. This is less effective now that there's assigned seating. My mother's advice was similar when I first visited a friend in New York. I was 21 and he lived in Hells Kitchen. Seeing me off at the airport my mother leaned in, kissed me goodbye, and whispered, 'Just try to look more nuts than anyone else. No one will bother you then.'

It worked. Perhaps I should stop now.

I'm doing an event tomorrow night at 7pm at Greenley's Bookstore in Belleville, Ontario - about 2 hours outside of Toronto. Then on Thursday night I'll be at an event organized by the amazing Janet Sommerville at Ben McNally's new bookstore on Richmond street. It would be great to see lots of people there. Elizabeth Hay will also be signing. We have a lot in common. Similar ages and she too worked at remote CBC radio locations in the late 70's. She turned her experience into an award winning novel - having just won the Giller prize! The similarities end there.

On Friday morning I'll be at St George's school in Toronto to talk to a couple of classes. This is a private boy's school (where Janet Sommerville works). And they've been studying DEAD COLD, my second book. Looking forward to their questions. It's an amazing thing to know my words are being discected by students...and I suspect they're finding more there than I realize. Have to remember not to look insane while at the school. Look smart. Look smart.

Than back to Montreal Friday night - pick up Michael Saturday - and I do a Books and Brunch in Montreal Sunday morning. This is a massive event and hugely successful and if I wasn't feeling a little overwhelmed I'd be able to tell you who else will be speaking. Basically 4 or 5 authors are invited - and 300-400 people come to the brunch. At some point we get up and talk for about 15 minutes each. Great fun, but a little nerve-wracking. Still - like hitting you head against a wall - it feels good when it's over.

All this is a very long winded way to say a couple of things - I'd really love to see you at any of these events - and I've decided as an experiment not to take a computer or a blackberry with me. So no communication. Not even the blog. I'll probably write a few words from the hotel Thursday or Friday...but perhaps not.

But I'll be thinking of you.

Be well and I'll speak to you soon.

2 comments:

Cheryl Tardif said...

Hi Louise:

I just wanted to say congrats on your Quill & Quire cover and feature. And all the best to you in your continued success! :)

Cheryl Kaye Tardif
fellow CWC'er and Canadian suspense author
www.cherylktardif.com

Louise Penny Author said...

Hi Cheryl,

Aren't you wonderful! Thanks you - and continued success to you on your latest book!